As we pivot to a condensed, virtual format, LABS 2020 is more focused than ever on offering a diverse, dynamic lineup of cutting-edge educational sessions led by disability sport leaders and influencers. We’re committed to delivering a program that packs a punch!
LABS 2020 – Virtual Conference
October 15, 2020
8:30am – 4:00pm MST
8:30-9:15am – KEYNOTE PRESENTATION: Building a Movement for Social Change with Sustainable Impact and Benefit
- David Grevemberg, CEO Commonwealth Games Federation
Discover how the Commonwealth Games have prioritized inclusion by building platforms focused on advocacy, equality and community engagement. Grevemberg will lead a discussion on how we can identify ways within the U.S. to build a sustainable adapted sport movement that is primed for impact and advancement.
9:30-10:15am – 2020 Lessons Learned and New Opportunities to Expand the Movement
- Ann Cody – Special Advisor, International Disability Rights, U.S. State Department
- Victor Calise – Commissioner of the New York City Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities
We are all too familiar with the challenges and uncertainties 2020 has brought amid a global pandemic. What have we learned through these new experiences? What are some silver linings and takeaways we as leaders in disability sport can put in to practice that will enhance and expand sport opportunities and experiences? We will discuss all of this and more in this session.
10:30-11:15am – Creating Successful Partnerships to Build Successful Events
- Greg Fante – VP of Sports Development, Louisville Sports Commission
- Mike Mushett – CEO, Turnstone Center
- Dan O’Connell – CEO, Visit Ft. Wayne
- Will Waller – CEO, National Wheelchair Basketball Association
- Moderator: Jason Gewirtz – Editor & Publisher, SportsTravel
Learn what it takes to host successful adapted sport events from community leaders who’ve hosted both national and international competitions. Panelists will share what the key strategies and practices are from bidding and planning to executing world-class sport events.
11:30-12:15pm – What Athletes Want & Need to Maximize Success
- Blaze Foster – Para Powerlifting Paralympic hopeful
- McKenna Geer – Team USA, Shooting, 2016 Rio Paralympic Games, bronze medalist
- Jaleen Roberts – Team USA, Track & Field medalist at the 2017 & 2019 World Para Athletics Championships and 2019 Parapan Games
The panel of elite athletes will discuss what they want and need in their sport to successfully compete at the highest levels of competition. This panel is filled with incredibly talented and accomplished athletes. Learn what sport leaders can do to help them maximize their competitive and athletic potential.
12:30-1:15pm – Economic Impact of the Adapted Sport Industry
- Dawna Callahan – Founder & CEO, All In Sport Consulting
- Nate Heckman – President, Stitch Marketing Research
- Jon Schmieder – Founder & CEO, Huddle Up Group
Discover trends and insights from the first-of-its-kind adapted sport economic impact report. Discussion will focus on how the industry can best utilize this valuable information while working with fellow sport brokers in our respective communities.
1:20-2:05pm – Pursuing an Inclusive and More Equitable Region
- Hunter Leemon – Executive Director, Sportable
- J.C. Poma – Director of Sport Relations, Richmond Region Tourism & Vice Chair, Sportable
- Josh Sloan – Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator, Sportable
Sport leaders will share how they ensure inclusive opportunities for those with disabilities within the broader community and all levels within an organization. Goal-setting strategies will be shared along with identifying like-minded community partners that will enhance and support the commitment to inclusion.
2:15-3:00pm – Communicating with Power and Passion
- Katie Moses Swope – Founder, MoSwo PR
- Loren Worthington – VP of Communications, Ability360
Learn cutting-edge communications strategies for promoting your programs and athletes and how to move stories from ‘human interest’ to the Sports page. Discover tips and tools for developing creative content with progressive messages.
3:15-4:00pm – Social Impact of Adapted Sport – Advocacy and Activism
- Cheri Blauwet- MD, Harvard Medical School & Board Member, United States Olympic and Paralympic Committee
- Phil Pangrazio – CEO, Ability360
- John Register – Founder, Inspired Communications International
Speakers will share thoughts and strategies to keep the learnings and momentum from LABS 2020 in the forefront as we work with athletes, community leaders and sport brokers.